Scholarship at the Center for Children, Law & Policy
Check out: Children Displaced Across Borders Conference
"CHILDREN DISPLACED ACROSS BORDERS: BRIDGING POLICY, PRACTICE, AND DISCIPLINARY APPROACHES TO FURTHER HUMAN RIGHTS"
A binational conference, to be held at the University of Houston and Swansea University in Wales
November 18-19, 2016
Practitioners, attorneys, advocates, researchers, and students in both Houston and in Wales will come together to discuss challenges faced by immigrant, refugee, asylee, and trafficked children and youth.
Professor Ellen Marrus will be speaking during the Best Interests session on Saturday.
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) will serve as the conference's organizing framework. Conference speakers and panelists will examine how the UNCRC's human rights lens can inform practice, policy, and research impacting children who have been displaced from their home countries.
Please check the agenda here.
Children and the Law Blog
Children and the Law Blog's content is developed and maintained by CCLP faculty, staff, and law students serving as Irene Merker Rosenberg Scholars. Academics, attorneys, and child development specialists regularly provided guest commentary.
Averaging over thirty posts a month, CCLP's online publication is ranked in the top 1% internationally according to Technorati, the web's leading blog ranking site.
The Center conducts policy research on numerous aspects of children’s rights:
- Co-editor of Children, Sexuality, and the Law (NYU Press, 2015)
- Children, Law and Disasters: What We Learned from Katrina and the Hurricanes of 2005, American Bar Association Publishing (2009)
- Gault: 40 Years Later: celebrating the U.S. Supreme Court decision that extended due process protections to children in juvenile court, the papers authored by the conference presenters at have been published in the peer-reviewed Criminal Law Bulletin:
- David R. Katner, Foreword: The Legacy of Gault, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 1 (2008) (.pdf)
- Steven Mintz, Placing Children's Rights in Historical Perspective, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 2 (2008) (.pdf)
- Irene Merker Rosenberg, Gault Turns 40: Reflections on Ambiguity, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 3 (2008) (.pdf)
- Michael L. Lindsey, The Impact of Gault on the Representation of Minority Youth, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 4 (2008) (.pdf)
- Wallace J. Mlyniec, In re Gault at 40: The Right to Counsel in Juvenile Court-A Promise Unfulfilled, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 5 (2008) (.pdf)
- Ellen Marrus, Gault, 40 Years Later: Are We There Yet?, 44 No. 3 Crim. Law Bulletin 6 (2008) (.pdf)
- Gault In Schools: Why A Lawyer: A workbook for students to learn the importance of attorney representation in our legal system.
- Ellen Marrus & Irene Merker Rosenberg, Children and Juvenile Justice (2nd Edition) (Carolina Academic Press)
- Juvenile Practice Is Not Child's Play (3rd Edition): An essential handbook prepared after each legislative session for attorneys representing juveniles in Texas in collaboration with Texas Appleseed
- Navigating the Juvenile Justice System: A handbook for juveniles and their families to navigate the juvenile justice system in Texas, produced in collaboration with Texas Appleseed
- Selling Justice Short: Juvenile Indigent Defense In Texas: An in-depth report produced in collaboration with the Texas Appleseed organization and the National Juvenile Defender Center
- Special-Purpose Handbooks For Targeted Audiences:
- Overview for attorneys representing juveniles in Colorado
- Handbook on details relating to “sealing” orders in juvenile cases
- Outline of the Texas juvenile justice system for lay advocates
- Comprehensive handbook for advocates working in special education
The Center for Children, Law & Policy coordinates major gatherings for professionals from a variety of disciplines to closely examine important issues relating to children’s rights:
- 15th Zealous Advocacy Conference, July 2016
- 14th Zealous Advocacy Conference, September 2015
- 13th Annual Zealous Advocacy Conference, May 2014
- Healthcare in a Changing Landscape--Connecting Houstonians to Coverage, September 2013
- 12th Annual Zealous Advocacy Conference, May 2013
Zealous Advocacy: It's Common Sense
- Beyond the Basics: Best Practices in Child Welfare Advocacy, October 2012
- 11th Annual Zealous Advocacy Conference, March 2012
Child Development and Juvenile Justice
- Child Centered Jurisprudence And Feminist Jurisprudence: Exploring The Connections And The Tensions, November 2008
- Achieving Quality In Indigent Defense - Proposals, Prototypes, And Policymaking, September 2008
- Children's Defense Fund's Cradle To Prison Pipeline Texas Summit, March 2008
- Gault: A 40-Year Retrospective: How a pivotal case has influenced juvenile jurisprudence since 1967, November 2007
- Children And The Law After The Katrina Disaster: An Interdisciplinary Conference On Young Evacuees: How the legal system responded to the needs of thousands of displaced children
- The Aftermath Of Roper vs. Simmons: How the constitutional arguments against death sentences for juveniles influence the juvenile justice system