Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Dean's Award Ceremony
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Submission deadline for 2015 TBA.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
The Albert Schweitzer Fellowship – Houston Galveston $2500 Stipend - Seeks to develop Leaders in Service who are dedicated to improving the health and well-being of under served communities during their Fellowship year and beyond. Schweitzer Fellows design and implement their own 200-hour community service projects that address local unmet health needs, while also participating in monthly Fellowship activities focused on leadership development. We select a diverse group of 12 to 15 students each year from multiple schools and academic disciplines, including medicine, biology, education, engineering, law, nursing, optometry, public health, religion, and social work, among others.
The Fellowship is open to students enrolled in a graduate-level or professional degree program through April 2016. For more information contact Jennifer Cook, Director, at Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are due February 1, 2015.
Applications on this site are also available on the scholarship literature
rack in the Student Services suite.
- Constangy, Brooks & Smith Diversity Scholars Awards $2599 - Awarded to a 2L student. Selection criteria will include academic achievement (minimum GPA of 3.0); commitment to diversity in the community, or in your school or work environment; and personal achievement in overcoming challenges to reach your goals. Submission deadline is December 12, 2014.
- National Intellectual Property Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to
a second or third year U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in intellectual property law. Submission deadline is December 12, 2014.
- National Business Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to a second or third year U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in business law. Submission deadline is December 12, 2014.
- National Tax Scholarship $500 - Awarded to a second or third year U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in tax law. Submission deadline is December 12, 2014.
- National Criminal Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to a second or third year U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in criminal law. Submission deadline is December 12, 2014.
- Bridgat Graduate Scholarship $6500 - Applicants must be a citizen of an Asian country with a 3.0 gpa. Submission deadline is December 31, 2014.
- Empowering Women In Law Scholarship $2000 - Judged & awarded primarily on academic achievement, school & community activities, demonstrated leadership abilities & financial need. Application deadline is December 31, 2014.
- Ashley Rose Honorary Diabetes Law Student Scholarship $4000 - A student whose life has been impacted by type 1 diabetes. Submission deadline is December 31, 2014.
- Injury Lawyer News – Disability Scholarships $1000 - Applicants for the scholarship will write an essay on the following topics:
- What are the greatest challenges you have had to overcome as a result of your disability?
- What area of law do you intend to practice and why? Submission deadline is December 31, 2014.
- Avvo Scholarship Program $10,000 - Students are required to write an essay and complete an anonymous questionnaire. Submission deadline is January 1, 2015.
- Association of Women Attorneys Scholarship $2500 - Eligible applicants are any current second or third year female law student at a law school in Houston. Second Year Scholarship of $2,500 and Third Year Bar Review Scholarship of $3,500 will be awarded to deserving students from each of the three Houston area law schools (UH, South Texas and TSU). Submission deadline is January 31, 2015.
- Wheelchair Disability Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be permanently confined to a wheelchair and be willing to share his or her story with the general public. Submission deadline is February 28, 2015.
- National Council of Jewish Women $? - Applicant must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies. Submission deadline is March 9, 2015.
- Interleges Award in Memory of Stephen Rayner 4000 EUROS - Essay: TRANSNATIONAL ADJUDICATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS: NATIONAL TRIBUNALS AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO INTERNATIONAL COURTS. Submission deadline is March 20, 2015.
- The Texas Energy Innovation Challenge (TEIC) team award $10K - Graduate students from inter-disciplinary academic programs at the major universities in Texas are challenged to bring research and imagination to help solve an existing energy problem for Texans. The participants in the Challenge will be presenting both a written proposal and oral presentation to an august group of evaluators in May 2015.
- Legal Scholarship Offered by Criminal Defense Attorney $1000 - Essay Topic: How do you see social media affecting the practice of law? Submission deadline is May 1, 2015.
- Tad Nelson Law Firm Scholarship $500 - This scholarship is judged primarily on need basis, but does not exclude achievement standards. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Applicant must be a member of an ethnic, racial or other minority group who demonstrates a defined commitment to issues of diversity within their academic career. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Harris Personal Injury Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must have suffered a serious injury, and are committed to demonstrating a determination to rebuild their lives by attending college. Submission deadline is May 31, 2015.
- Oronoz & Ericsson Law Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a Nevada resident. Essay topic: Are texting and cell phone bans effective in reducing the number of distracted driving accidents? Submission deadline is June 12, 2015.
- The d’Oliveira & Associates College Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must be a U.S. citizen. Essay topic: Persuading young people on the dangers of drinking and driving. Submission deadline is July 30, 2015.
- The Tix Team 2014 Law Scholarship for Veterans $1000 - Veterans pursuing a Juris Doctor degree. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
- Katz & Phillips Single-Parent Scholarship $1000 - awarded to a single parents pursuing a law degree. Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Scholarship $3000 - Awarded to a current or incoming law students based on need and commitment to helping others. Submission deadline is August 31, 2015.
Applications on this site are also available on the literature rack in
the Student Services suite.
- White River Environmental Law Writing Competition $1000 - Topic: Address the field of environment law, natural resource law, energy law, environment justice, land use law, animal law and agricultural law. Submission deadline is December 10, 2014.
- Farzad Family Law, APC $3000 - Topic: Should the right to marry for same sex couples become a federal constitutional right by amendment to the United States Constitution or remain a State issue? Submission deadline is December 15, 2014.
- State Bar of Texas Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section $5000 - Topic: Current or general topic dealing with real property, probate, or trust law. Submission deadline is December 19, 2015.
- IEL Hartrick Scholar Writing Competition $2500 - Topic: Relating to energy development. Submission deadline is December 19, 2014.
- The Expert Institute $500 - Topic: Any topic in litigation involving expert witnesses. Submission deadline is December 31, 2014.
- Mollie and Paul Hill Writing Competition $250 - Topic: Ways in which the medical and legal professions may work together collaboratively to address the problem of excessive, unnecessary, wasteful and inefficient provisions of medical services in the U.S. Submission deadline is January 2, 2015.
- Entertainment Law Initiative Writing Competition $5000 - Topic: To identify, research, and write an essay with a proposed solution on a compelling legal issue confronting the music industry. Submission deadline is January 5, 2015.
- Richmond Law Journal of Law and Technology $1500 - Topic: The intersection of law and technology. Submission deadline is January 11, 2015.
- Jameson Crane III Disability and the Law Writing Competition $1500 - Topic: Relating to disability law, including legal issues arising with respect to employment, government services and programs, public accommodations, education, higher education, housing, and health care.
Submission deadline is January 15, 2015.
- Louis Jackson National Student Writing Competition/Employment and Labor Law $3000 - Topic: Relating to the law governing the workplace, such as employment law, labor law, employee benefits or employment discrimination. Submission deadline is January 20, 2015.
- Animal Law Writing Contest $ 2500 - Topic: a) Provide a constitutional analysis of the ordinance (Section 4-384-015, Municipal Code of Chicago) or b) Provide a constitutional analysis of the ordinance (Section 10.08.155, Los Angeles County Code). Submission deadline is February 15, 2015.
- Elliot Spoon Business Law Writing Competition $500 - Topic: Business or securities law article in law review format. Submission deadline is February 20, 2015.
- Stewart J. Guss Student Writing Award $1000 - Topic: What Law Would You Change and Why? Submission deadline is March 1, 2015.
- Louis Tertocha Fashion Law Writing Competition $? - Topic: Discuss a legal issue in the Fashion Industry. Submission deadline is March 23, 2015.
- Beveridge & Diamond Constitutional Environmental Law Writing Competition $2000 - Topic: Developments or trends in U.S. environmental law that have a significant constitutional or “federalism” component. Submission deadline is April 6, 2015.
- ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law $1500- $500- Topic: Any aspect of public or private sector labor and or employment law relevant to the American labor and employment bar. Submission deadline is May 15, 2015.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
100 Law Center
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652