Merit Scholarships for Entering J.D. Students
Dean’s Scholarships are offered to highly qualified students in each entering first-year class. These scholarships vary in number and amount each year, and are renewable under the terms outlined below. As part of the Dean’s Scholarship program, we also offer at least two Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships. The terms and criteria for the Teach for America scholarships are the same as those for the Dean’s Scholarship program, except that only current or former Teach for America corps members will be considered. Every applicant accepted for admission to the J.D. program is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required.
Criteria for Entering Student Scholarships:
Every J.D. applicant accepted for admission is automatically considered for available merit scholarships, and no additional application is required. The following factors are considered when awarding merit scholarships:
- Applicant's academic record, including previous undergraduate and/or graduate institutions and test scores
- Applicant's letters of recommendation
- Applicant's demonstrated interest in obtaining an advanced degree as evidenced by the personal statement and other application materials
- Other relevant qualifications
Merit scholarships awarded to entering full-time J.D. students, including Dean’s Scholarships and Dean’s Teach for America Scholarships, are renewable for all three years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains continuous full-time enrollment and is in good academic standing. For part-time students, scholarships are for all four years of the J.D. program, provided the student maintains a continuous part-time course load and is in good academic standing. If the student transfers from the part-time program to the full-time program, the scholarship will expire upon graduation from the JD program or at the conclusion of the fourth year, whichever comes first.
Scholarships are paid in two equal installments each year, one each for the fall and spring semester. No payment is made for summer enrollment. The scholarship will be applied to the student’s university financial account.
Each year, the UHLC offers several scholarships to currently enrolled students. During this ceremony, the Law Center recognizes student achievement in a number of areas. Please pay particular attention to the criteria/description stated in each scholarships on this application. Complete the application and submit via Symplicity Job #14526. Deadline: February 20, 2017.
The 2017 Dean’s Awards Ceremony will be held Wednesday, April 19, 2017.
Outside Scholarship Sources
Applicants are encouraged to search for outside scholarships. Some suggestions are www.fastweb.com, www.aie.org individual organizations, sororities or fraternities, social clubs, religious or business organizations, employers of a parent, spouse or friend, foundations, town or city clubs, community organizations and civic groups such as the American Legion, YMCA, 4H Club, Elks, Kiwanis, Jaycees or girl & boy scouts. Any organization connected with your field of interest. Other options:
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship $1K - $9K - A law student who is enrolled full time who can demonstrate a commitment to the study of natural resources law is eligible to apply. LLM students and incoming 1Ls who have applied but have not yet been accepted may also apply. Deadline: February 28, 2016.
- Damore, Delgado & Romanik Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: 1) Why do you want to be a lawyer? 2) Explain the importance of law in today's society. 3) What do you think the legal industry will be like in the next 10 years? Deadline: February 29, 2017.
- Citywide Law Group $1500 - Essay topics: 1) Why do you want to practice law? 2) What adversity you have had to overcome to obtain your goal of attending law school. 3) How you will use your law degree to help others. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- Charlie Butts Scholarship $5000 - 3L law student with a demonstrated interest in Criminal Law, especially Criminal Defense. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- Silver Tax Group Scholarship $1500 - Essay topic: 1) Do you think raising or lowering tax rates in America would help stimulate US economic growth and pay down our debt of $19 trillion? What other results may happen from your decision?
2) Describe a state or federal law with which you don't fully agree, defend your position and identify possible opposing arguments to your position. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- State Bar of Texas Diversity Bar Exam Prep Scholarship $? - Diverse 3L law student who will prepare for the Texas Bar Exam and who attend an ABA-accredited Texas law school. Deadline: March 1, 2017.
- ABA Legal Opportunity Scholarship $5000 - Encourage racial and ethnic minority students to apply to law school and to provide financial assistance to ensure that these students have the opportunity to attend law school for three years. Deadline: March 2, 2017.
- ABA LPL Ed Mendrzycki Essay Contest - Hypothetical $5000 - Essay topic: Involves the ethical concerns arising under the Model Rules of Professional Conduct where a law firm seeks to affiliate itself with litigation funding companies, including undertaking representation of one such company and, in turn, recommending its services to the firm’s clients. Deadline: March 3, 2017.
- The Dallas Hispanic Law Foundation Scholarship $2500? - Scholarships and bar study grants ($3500) to be awarded to worthy Hispanic law students. Deadline: March 6, 2017.
- Mexican American Bar Association Scholarship $1500 - Please include 1) your application, 2) your resume/curriculum vitae (CV), and 3) your personal statement. Deadline: March 8, 2017.
- UHLC Black Law Student Association Alumni Scholarship $1500 - Awarded to a current African-American UHLC student . Deadline: March 9, 2017.
- Perdue Scholarship Award $5000 - Applicant must demonstrate a commitment to the Law Center’s Advocacy Program and shows a highly developed skill-set in the Art of Advocacy. Application information available in the Blakely Advocacy Institute. Deadline: March 10, 2017.
- Serbian Bar Association of America (SBAA) $2000 - All persons of Serbian birth or ancestry and/or their spouses who are enrolled in an accredited law school in the United States are eligible to apply. Deadline: March 12, 2017.
- Dr. Lee K. Feine Scholarship $1500 - Awards are based on financial needs, academic achievement, and career goals, must be preparing for a career in a health profession, education, community or social services, or Jewish Studies and must be a Houston resident. Deadline: March 17, 2017.
- Cameron County Bar Association Law Scholarship $2500 - The applicant must be a current resident of Cameron County or have attended a high school in Cameron County for at least 2 academic years. Deadline: March 17, 2017.
- HBAA Charitable Fund Scholarship $5000 - Awarded to a 2L that is graduating next year. The selection is based on academic achievement, financial need and community involvement. Deadline: March 17, 2017.
- Energy & Mineral Law Foundation Scholarship $1000-$5000 - Criteria: (a) potential to make a significant contribution in the field of energy, mineral and natural resources law; (b) academic ability; (c) leadership ability; and (d) financial need. Deadline: March 27, 2017.
- Wilshire Law Firm Scholarship $1000 - Submit a typed essay describing: a) your professional goals in a legal career, b) how you intend to contribute to the community, and c) why you believe you are deserving of this scholarship. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Peck Law Firm Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic: What effects will the election of our new president have on American families? Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Iranian-American Bar Association Scholarship $? - Law students must demonstrate a commitment to the advancement of the Iranian-American community. Applicants must be of Iranian heritage and full-time students at an accredited law school. Deadline: March 31, 2017.
- Howard Fox Memorial Law Scholarship - $3000 - Must be a high school graduate of Berks County, Pennsylvania. Deadline: April 1, 2017.
- Zelle Diversity in Law Scholarship $30,000 - First year student must either (1) be a member of a population or group whose background and perspectives are historically underrepresented in the private practice of law; or (2) demonstrate a long-standing commitment to diversity that will be furthered by award of the scholarship. Deadline: April 1, 2017.
- Buckfire & Buckfire, P.C. Diversity & Disability Scholarship $1000 - Available to students with any type of disability. Deadline: April 1, 2017.
- Advancement of Animal Law Scholarship $5000 - Open to law students that are not graduating in this year. Deadline: April 3, 2017.
- Amarillo Area Bar Foundation Scholarship $2500 - 1) Applicants must be currently enrolled in or accepted for admittance to a law school accredited by the American Bar Association.
2) Applicants must have been born in, raised in, or currently reside in one of the 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle (the area covered by the Amarillo Area Bar Association). Deadline:
April 3, 2017.
- Franklin Jones, Jr. Memorial Scholarship $7500 - Law students and prospective law students must be a residence in the Eastern District of Texas and demonstrate financial need or hardship. Deadline: April 7, 2017.
- State Bar of Texas Tax Section Scholarship $2000 - Applicant must demonstrating academic excellence and commitment to the study and practice of tax law. Deadline: April 7, 2017.
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association Scholarship $5000 - Law students with connections to the Eastern District of Texas (see attached list of cities/counties) who are enrolled or have been accepted to an ABA accredited law school in Texas are eligible to apply. Deadline: April 14, 2017.
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) $5000 - Awarded to students who demonstrate strong character, academic ability, and potential to make a significant contribution to the field of international oil and gas negotiations. Deadline: April 28, 2017.
- Court System Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: "Why the legal and judiciary system (including courts, jails, police departments, sheriffs, et al) are important to a well founded and structured society". Deadline: April 30, 2016.
- Scholarship for Military Veterans $500 - Essay discussing "How can the government help improve veteran lives when they return from their tour of duty?". Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Scholarship for Children of Police Officers $2000 - Write an essay detailing how being the son or daughter of a police officer has influenced you as a college-bound student. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Weiss & Paarz Annual Law Scholarship $1000 -Submit a personal statement, which includes a description of your career goals and what you plan to use the scholarship funding for. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Evans Law Firm Legal Scholarship $1000 - 1) U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.; 2) Commencing law school (1L) in August 2017; 3) Written an article which has been published (in print or digital media). Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Fleming's Fundamentals of Law 'California Bar Review' Scholarship $? - Free bar preparation course for the July 2017 Bar exam - Essay topic: Experience with the law and how you would like to make a difference in society with your law degree. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- McNeely Stephenson Legal Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must submit a sample of their writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. It is not necessary that the subject matter be related to the law; its primary purpose should be to inform readers. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Guajardo & Marks, LLP Scholarship $1000 - Applicant must meet the following criteria: 1) U.S. citizen or authorized to work in the U.S.;
2) Commencing law school (1L) in August 2017; 3) Written an article which has been published (in print or digital media).Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Legal Scholarship Award $1000 - Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Bunch and Brock Legal Scholarship $500 - Must be an incoming law student for fall 2017. Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Bley & Evans Legal Scholarship Award $1000 - Must be an incoming law student for fall 2017. Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Dan Carman Legal Scholarship $1000 - Must be an incoming law student for fall 2017. Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- The Whistleblower Lawyer Legal Scholarship $1000 - Must be an incoming law student for fall 2017. Submit a sample writing which has previously been published in a newspaper, magazine, professional blog or academic publication. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Steven H. Heisler Scholarship $2500 - Must be an incoming law student. Submit an essay outlining the description of past community service efforts and how the award will enhance education and future service opportunities. Deadline: May 1, 2017.
- Future Legal Leaders Scholarship $2000 - Open to current 1L or incoming 1L beginning Fall 2017. Share how as a lawyer you intend to use your law degree and education in support of your community with a video and written essay. Scroll to the bottom of the link above. Deadline: May 5, 2017.
- Advocates Law Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: What are some of the daily problems we face on the roads? What laws could be changed to accomplish that goal? How can you contribute to improving road safety? Deadline: May 15, 2017.
- Katzman, Lampert, and McClune Aviation Scholarship $2000 - Write an essay, describing why you want to go to law school and pursue a career in aviation-focused law. Deadline: May 31, 2017.
- Ed Edmondson Scholarship to the Sovereignty Symposium - Applicants should demonstrate an interest in and dedication to Native American law issues and the need for a scholarship in a simple letter of application. Deadline: May 31, 2017.
- Law Student Diversity Scholarship $2000 - Essay topic: Describe your efforts to encourage greater racial or ethnic diversity within the student body of your law school and/or undergraduate program. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Criminal Defense Attorneys Moses and Rooth Attorneys at Law Legal Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: Do you feel that all restrictions on firearms impact the second amendment? Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- American College of Employee Benefits Contest Writing Prize $1500 - Topic: Employees Benefits. Deadline: June 1, 2017.
- Strong law Offices College Scholarship $500 - Essay topic: How I can use a law degree to advance the rights of an injured worker. Awarded to an incoming student for fall 2017. Deadline: August 1, 2017.
- Law School Diversity Student and Problem Solving Scholarship $2500 - For minority students (Black, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, Eskimo, or Hispanic); Create a 2-4 minute video answering the following prompt:
If you had one million dollars, what problem would you try to solve? And how would you do it? Who would you work with? Why would you try to solve that particular problem?
Deadline: June 31, 2017.
- USAttorneys.com Immigration Scholarship Essay Contest $1500 - Essay Topic: Deportation, How to Apply for a Work Visa H1B, The Importance of Having an Immigration Lawyer, Investment Visas or Explain the different types of visas. Deadline: July 1, 2017.
- Michael P. Fleming Law Scholarship $1000 - Submit an essay on an area of personal injury or civil litigation law with an emphasis on why they deserve the award. Deadline: July 1, 2017.
- Mississauga Student Law School Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: How you believe some of us, or all of us, will benefit when you become an attorney. Deadline: July 15, 2017.
- Gerben Law Firm Scholarship $2500 - Awarded to the student with the most compelling story of why they are interested in becoming a trademark attorney. Deadline: July 31, 2017.
- Steinger, Iscoe & Greene Latin Heritage Law Student Scholarship $1000 - Awarded to one student of Hispanic descent seeking to obtain a law degree. Deadline: July 31, 2017.
- National Tax Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to a 2L or 3L U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in tax law. Deadline: August 7, 2017.
- National Business Law Scholarship $500 - Awarded to a 2L or 3L U.S. law student with a demonstrated interest in business law. Deadline: August 7, 2017.
- Jon Friedman Scholarship $500 - Submit an essay of your choice related to an area of law that interest you. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Charles J. Argento and Associates Scholarship $500 - Submit an essay on the subject matter related to the area of law you intend to pursue. Deadline:
August 15, 2017.
- David Kestenbaum Scholarship $500 - Recipient will be entering law school in the fall of 2017 with a focus on criminal defense. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Gurovich, Berk & Associates Scholarship $500 - An essay relating to your chosen area of law. Deadline: August 15, 2017.
- Baumgartner Law Firm Law Student Scholarship Application $3000 - This scholarship will be awarded based on need and commitment to helping others. Deadline: August 31, 2017.
- Sigmon Law, PLLC “Truth and Justice” Scholarship $1000 - The scholarship is designed to recognize and financially assist outstanding law students and/or undergraduates interested in pursuing a career as civil trial lawyers–legal professionals committed to using the courtroom to fight for the rights of those who can’t fight for themselves. Must submit a two question essay. Deadline: August 31, 2017.
- Criminal Attorney Scholarship $750 - Essay topic: Why is it important to provide expert legal defense to anyone who is accused of a crime in the United States? Deadline: August 31, 2017.
- Bajaj Law Scholarship $2500 - The scholarship will be based on an essay and can be done on any topic. Deadline: September 1, 2017.
- Scholarship for Justice $1000 - Must be an incoming student. Essay topic: Detailing the reforms necessary to restore integrity in American police forces and to minimize institutional racism, the abuse of the mentally ill, and reduce deaths and injuries by violent police misconduct. Deadline: September 1, 2017.
- Wilshire Law Firm Scholarship $1000 - Submit a typed essay describing: a) your professional goals in a legal career, b) how you intend to contribute to the community, and c) why you believe you are deserving of this scholarship. Deadline: September 30, 2017.
- Criminal Attorney Scholarship $750 - Essay topic: Why is it important to provide expert legal defense to anyone who is accused of a crime in the United States? Deadline: December 1, 2017.
- Tax Law Policy Scholarship $500 - Applicant must demonstrate an interest in tax policy. Deadline: December 31, 2017.
- Aaron Swartz Progressive Change Scholarship $1000 - Essay topic: Related to law and activism. Deadline: January 6, 2018.
University of Houston Law Center
Financial Aid & Scholarship Office
4604 Calhoun Road
Houston, Texas 77204-6060
School code 003652