DR 7-110 Contact with Officials.
- A lawyer shall not give or lend anything of more than nominal value to a judge,
official, or employee of a tribunal, but a lawyer is not prohibited hereby from making
contributions to a fund for filing fees or campaign expenses of a judge or official
seeking election or re-election to a public office.
- In an adversary proceeding, a lawyer shall not communicate, or cause another to
communicate, as to the merits of the cause with a judge or an official before whom the
proceeding is pending, except:
- In the course of official proceedings in the cause.
- In writing if he promptly delivers a copy of the writing to opposing counsel or to the
adverse party if he is not represented by a lawyer.
- Orally upon adequate notice to opposing counsel or to the adverse party if he is not
represented by a lawyer.
- As otherwise authorized by law.