University of Houston Law Center Logo
HOME
Faculty

Printable Version

Fall 2020
5359 Health Industry Basics: Providers-Innovators-Regulators - KOCH- 20149

Professor(s): Valerie Koch (FACULTY)

Credits: 3

Course Areas: Health Law 

Time: 9:00a-10:30a  MW  Location:  

Course Outline: This core health law course is an introductory tour of Texas/federal laws governing health-sector businesses, which together account for 18% U.S. Gross Domestic Product. The course covers traditional 20th-century institutions such as hospitals, but the main focus is on the expanding array of new players that supply innovative products and services (clinical laboratories; biobanks; academic medical centers, which conduct research as well as providing patient care; contract research organizations; health data exchanges; and management and informational services). These latter entities are a vibrant and growing part of the health industry and students entering the health law workforce of today need to know the laws that affect them and the unresolved policy issues they raise. This year’s course will include multiple visits from, and opportunities for students to have close interactions with, practicing attorneys—UH Law Center alums—who work in major area academic medical centers. They will guide students in practical problem-solving discussions of real-world legal issues related to the substantive law topics covered in the course and offer insights on how to get and build a career working for or representing academic medical centers as clients.

Course Syllabus: Syllabus

Course Notes: DistanceEd  The instructor for this course has expressed a preference to operate the course as distance education. This means no physical classroom is assigned for this course. This also most likely means synchronous internet videoconferencing class sessions during the day(s) and time(s) when the course is scheduled to meet. However, other, more flexible modalities are possible, such as not using some of the scheduled class sessions to meet but instead supplementing with asynchronous distance education techniques. More details should be made available from the instructor via their syllabus or via other means as the start of the semester nears.

A take-home final that counts for 80% of your grade. Short assignments throughout the semester will account for the remaining 20%.

No casebook. All course materials will be available on the UH Electronic Blackboard.

Prerequisites:  

First Day Assignments:

Final Exam Schedule: 12/16 9am - noon     

This course will have:
Exam: Take-Home Final
Paper:


Satisfies Senior Upper Level Writing Requirement: No

Experiential Course Type: No

Bar Course: No

DistanceEd ABA 306:

Pass-Fail Student Election: Available

Course Materials (8/10/2020 3:35:27 PM)

No book required for this course