State Bar of Texas - Law Student Division Membership & Benefits
Want to become an active member of the Texas legal community while in law school? Join the State Bar of Texas Law Student Division! All Texas law students are invited to join and gain access to the wide range of benefits and resources the State Bar provides to practicing Texas attorneys.
All attorneys licensed in Texas are required to be a member of the State Bar of Texas. The Law Student Division allows law students to become involved with the State Bar early in their law career and establish great connections while benefiting from the membership benefits and opportunities. Joining the Law Student Division is not only a valuable networking opportunity but a great way to jumpstart your career, be engaged with the Texas legal community, and learn about important resources and opportunities.
Other membership benefits include:
- Scholarships: Each year, the Law Student Division offers two $1,000 scholarship opportunities to members only: the Legal Professionalism Award in the Fall and the Essay Contest Award in the Spring. Two scholarship recipients are chosen each semester.
- Discounts: Law student division members receive the same benefits as attorney members, including discounts on travel, hotel, insurance, office, finance, technology, lifestyle, and more.
- Texas Bar Journal: Members receive a one-year subscription to the Texas Bar Journal, the official publication of the State Bar of Texas and the only legal publication reaching every attorney in the state. It contains articles and information about Texas laws, attorneys, and other legal news.
- Education: Law Student Division members receive registration to TexasBarCLE live and video replay seminars. In addition, members have access to the online classroom and online library.
- TLAP: The Texas Lawyers Assistance Program helps law students who are experiencing problems with depression, anxiety, chronic stress, abuse of substances, or addictive behaviors by providing support, referrals, and information.
- Free Section Membership: Take advantage of free membership in selected sections and network with attorneys who specialize in your fields of interest. A section is comprised of lawyers who practice in similar legal specialties and are designed to offer closer association between professionals engaged in specialized fields of law.
These are just a few of the benefits you will receive by joining the Law Student Division, and dues are only $15 a year. The State Bar of Texas Law Student Division encourages you to join today and jumpstart your career in law. To join, visit the State Bar of Texas Law Student Division website and complete your application.
Have questions? Contact one of the State Bar Representatives for the University of Houston Law Center: